Our Art Law department, headed by Milton Silverman, has grown through strong reputation and client recommendation over 20 years.
Today our art law specialist lawyers advise and assists galleries, dealers, collectors, auction houses and public institutions on the wide range of legal issues that arise from transacting in art on a global basis, which includes dealing with cultural heritage, intellectual property, customs, international art loans and the financing of art.
Streathers have for many years been accredited service providers to the British Antique Dealers Association (‘BADA’) and The Association of Art and Antique Dealers (‘LAPADA’), and have assisted on BBC productions on the art world. Milton writes extensively for the media on art law and has lectured at Sotheby’s Institute and abroad.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Title disputes;
- Issues, disputes and claims relating to the authenticity of art works;
- Claims of suspected fraud relating to a piece of art;
- Misrepresentation and description of antiques;
- Contract advice including advice on contract terms and drafting for art investors, art dealers, brokers, art galleries, auctioneers and institutions;
- IP legal advice including court claims and injunctions for copyright disputes, passing off claims, unlawful reproductions;
- Contract and risk advice including insurance contracts for art, and advice relating to the international transportation of valuable artworks;
- Legal issues associated with the loan of art works.