Gabriel heads up the Private Wealth Disputes and Probate teams at Streathers. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience in these fields and his broad Chancery practice encompasses probate, trusts and estates matters, both contentious and non-contentious.
Gabriel has been involved in a wide range of highly complex disputes in which he has acted for trustees, beneficiaries and others.
Gabriel has experience of disputes before all levels of the judiciary from the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) to the Country Court to the UK Supreme Court.
Gabriel offers the highest quality legal, practical and commercial advice for both domestic and international clients, be they families and individuals, families, executors, trustees, beneficiaries, entrepreneurs or companies.
Clients value Gabriel’s ability to provide sound strategic advice, using his knowledge of one area of law to inform another. He has developed a formidable reputation for effective negotiation and being able to secure the best outcome on clients’ behalf. His team’s approach makes the challenging process much more manageable for clients.
Gabriel’s work often has an international element and he has recently been involved in high value cases in England & Wales as well as jurisdictions such as the BVI, Cyprus and the United States. He acts for both claimants and defendants in the UK in proceedings under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 as well as in disputes involving contested wills and the administration of estates.
Recently Gabriel has been involved in:
- Acting in applications for the removal of trustees and executors;
- Cases concerning allegations of breach of trust and fiduciary duty;
- Financial abuse cases involving elderly and high net worth individuals;
- Cases involving will forgery and fraud;
- Representing beneficiaries in high value estate litigation concerning challenges to the validity of wills, mental capacity, lifetime gifts and claims of undue influence and fraudulent calumny;
- Acting for a defendant in a high value Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 case;
- Acting in relation to a long-standing family trust and a very large landed estate;
- Acting in applications for charging orders; and
- Acting in company restoration and unfair prejudice petitions and associated litigation.
Gabriel has been appointed by the High Court as an independent administrator to resolve long-running contentious estates. He can also advise in relation to proceedings before the Court of Protection, including applications for statutory wills, contested registration and Powers of Attorney.
He has developed a niche in the area of cryptocurrency, in particular issues relating to the control and ownership of cryptoassets, tracing cryptoassets and fraud relating to cryptoassets.
He has also established an insolvency practice which focuses on bona vacantia cases involving disclaimer, vesting orders and escheat.
Gabriel’s varied practice also means he can advise on intellectual property matters and has experience with trademarks, passing off and copyright cases. Prior to joining Streathers Gabriel worked at the specialist IP firm Marks & Clerk Solicitors on patent, copyright and trademark litigation. Prior to this he started his legal career working at Leigh Day Solicitors on what was then the largest group action case in British legal history. Gabriel’s work proved pivotal to successes in a number of other prominent international human rights cases.
Gabriel has contributed to both the national press on legal matters and recently he was quoted by the Times on private client issues. In 2020 he was a contributor to a Lexis Nexis webinar on insolvency matters jointly with the leading barrister in this field.
What some clients have said about Gabriel:
- “Thank you for all your efforts on our behalf. We are very pleased to have engaged your firm!”
- “We just want to say thank you again for the time & effort you put into this IP challenge – it really has been so appreciated and all your hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed.”
- “Thank you very much for your advice, patience and attention to detail.”
- “it was handled very well and went very smoothly considering all. Ours has been an extremely valuable relationship and it has been very comforting to know that you “had our backs” and could be relied-on for wise counsel. I’m looking forward to offering my thanks in-person at the next opportunity” US client
- “It has been a pleasure working with you and Chris and thank you for your care and sympathetic approach in helping us through this.”
- “You’re the best money we have spent in this process”